How does one get an Israeli passport and what is a “travel document”/”laissez passer”? Posted on June 24, 2013

Every Israeli citizen residing in Israel for 365 days out of 543 (18 months) is entitled to receive an Israeli passport. A travel document (laissez-passer) is issued for non-citizens and occasionally for citizens as well. The difference between a passport and travel document is that the bearer of a travel-document does not enjoy free entry into countries with agreements with Israel regarding visa-free entry. Therefore, it is necessary to obtain an entry visa for every country in the world, regardless of visa agreements. In addition, the validity of travel documents is significantly shorter than the validity of an Israeli passport. There are several types of travel document: 1. A document given to residents who are not citizens of Israel, such as temporary residents. In circumstances in which Israeli civilians lose their passport in a foreign country, they may be issued a one-time travel document or a travel document valid for the year. 2. A travel document given to illegal/undocumented aliens against whom a deportation order was issued and who are unable to acquire/secure a passport from their home country.

Written by

Rosenberg & Co. Law Office, was founded in Israel by a lawyer in Israel Leon Rosenberg, in 1975 the city of Netanya, in 1981 opened a branch in Tel Aviv law firm and notary Rosenberg & Co. Our firm specializes in services related to the following topics: Citizenship and visas, personal status and family law, inheritance, wills and estates, Ministry of Interior, real estate, commercial law, company registration, intellectual property and copyright law and litigation. CONTACT US 24/7!